Sunday, October 6, 2013

Prim Rag Dolls

(photo explosion)

I found the following prim rag dolls at an antiques/ brocante shop on Thursday. The most expensive one was $1.25. Most were $.50. They are not super old, but they were dusty and stained. Notice the details.


This baby has a lovely dress and pantaloons, but no hair!



Views from the back.



And lacy sleeve cuffs.

What a simple face!

A quilt rabbit with a lacy shawl.

Love the heart nose and the rope hair.

Sweet rear view.

A true "rag" doll.

No face, very Amish.

Gingham with a difference.

And those lacy trimmed pantaloons are precious.

Mr. and Mrs. Patch Rabbit

Wooden limbs and painted shoes.

Now I could draw that face!

 Back view of Mr.

A loop for hanging to display. Clever idea.

Mrs. in all her glory.

Same simple face.

Her dress makes her "fluffy. "Pantaloons are really primitive. 

Love the detail on this little dark girl.

The French knots work.

Homespun and gingham make this doll complete.

And then my favorite! I plan to try my hand at making one of these.

Meet Quilty Baby.

From the rear.

Sleep Tight. Don't let the bedbugs bite!
































12 comments:

  1. ooh the are lovely! and the baby sooo cute! it is a tressure to find!
    Happy week
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yolanda, we are heading to Nederland the end of this week. I always write about our Dutch visits in my Wetcreek Blog (http://www.wetcreek.blogspot.com) Linda

      Delete
  2. Ooh I like the quilt baby too!

    What sort of age do you think these are? And why no face or no hair? Have they lost them over time or where they made like that do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see evidence of a sewing machine, but think they are from the 1970 's or 80's. They could be older, but I do not think so. If the faceless and hairless are not Amish dolls, then someone was doing a good imitation. (An Amish doll is best described as a plain rag doll usually lacking physical features of a face or hair.[3] It is also thought that a face on a doll makes it appear more worldly, which is not considered acceptable among the Amish. Not all Amish dolls, however, are faceless. From Wikipedia)

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Fiona. I checked out your blog and became a follower today. You have found some great items. Looks like what I wore "back when." Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are really beautiful, all of them. I never heard of dolls without facial features before, how fascinating, but i agree with you, quilty baby is absolutely adorable. do show us your version x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Max. Thanks for dropping by. Check out my reply to Liz above. Linda

      Delete
  5. I like the mix of textures of these dolls in a group together. Very fun set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Van. Thanks for having a look at my " babies." Handmade dolls are a gift of love. The rope or twine for hair is amazing, too. Can't help but love them. Linda

      Delete
  6. Hi Linda,
    I'm writing to ask if i might use your photo's of the 'quilty baby' here for a post i want to write. I would of course link them all back here to your blog. I'm writing a post about I lady I know who makes quilts for needy people. she pay's to have each one professionally finished (about $120) per go, but can no longer do so. a group of her friends are fundraising to buy her the gadget that finishes quilts (totally forgot the name of it, i'm not a quilter) and i wanted to post about the fundraiser on my blog.
    Thanks for considering,
    Max @ www.blackbirdhasspoken.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Max, I trust that you received my email message this morning. I appreciate that you asked about my photos. I will look forward to reading your post about the quilt lady. Linda

    ReplyDelete